PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 08:45
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you're right but it should not be doing it out of you the employee! The jetstar bean counters look at you the cadet as another revenue stream and will continue to milk you for it.
Of COURSE they do, it's their job to maximise profit and minimise costs. If they can get a return, they will. Cadet gets a type rating and experience in a decent airline, and after three years has great prospects. It's a win-win. What would the cadet be doing otherwise? Instructing for a fraction of what Jetstar will be paying him? Sweeping hangars? Taking it up the arse from some shonky GA operator?

Easy choice.

There is many other lines of aviation other than the airlines. I've operated for many good & better paying operations worldwide that you would call "GA" on better pay and conditions than the jetstar F/o package. Without poverty, risk taking or uncertainty.
Sure, but it is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Turbo prop F/o's in NZ are getting paid more than the direct entry jetstar F/o. You have better pay and conditions working for Mt Cook or Air Nelson, so your argument doesn't stack up to me!
And they are stuck on crappy turboprops with very few prospects. Once again, I know what I'd choose. Go the Jetstar route and you have a marketable type rating that will see you employed for as long as you have a medical.

Every airline/ATC in NZ has their ALPA council and is only as strong as the pilot group that you are involved with. Why do you think over the years these groups have negotiated fear deals for themselves? because they got together and worked as a team for a better deal. Something Remoak you don't seem to keen to do?
Well... no. I worked, until recently, for an admittedly small airline that had no ALPA representation, and in the time I was there, not a single visit from an ALPA rep. Your mis-spelling ("fear" deal) sums it up for me. I have, as a GA pilot, sought the help of NZALPA a couple of times... the response? Nada. Waste of space. If you don't fly something with a koru on the tail, they don't want to know you.

As it happens, I have been a member of a union for over 25 years (BALPA). They, by comparison, are worth every cent.

To think that after 3 years of the jetstar cadet scheme it will easier to get into Air NZ is to be hugely mistaken.
It will definitely be easier than going the GA route. Let's see... take a guy with lots of (say) PA31 time, no two-crew experience, lots of bad habits (from an airline point of view) and no experience on anything with turbines or inertia; or take a guy with three years A320 and six successful OPCs?

Another no brainer. Air NZ aren't stupid, they know who will be the greater training risk.

So if you are going to do the cadet scheme to having a plan of staying in NZ long term you will have poverty and uncertainty!
What planet are you on? No, you won't. After probably five years or so, you will have a command on a nice new jet, probably 15 years before you would with Air NZ. You will be on a salary in the region of 150K which, while not Air NZ levels, is certainly not poverty and is probably three times what you would be on if you had stayed in GA.

Yet another no-brainer.

he's reading the stuff from a couple of pages back about how much the guy in Emirates gets paid and thinking "wow a couple of years in Jetstar and I could have some of that". And you know what, he probably could.
Precisely.

You're right going to Jetstar might not improve their chances with Air NZ or QF, but get real, when's the last time they hired anyway. Or at least, hired more than half a dozen guys in a year. Awesome if your number comes up in THAT lottery but realistically you aren't gonna scare 200 hour guys off by threatening them with that one.

Jetstar and Pac Blue are the only game in town these days, so the real choice is whether to apply for Jetstar now ... or do 5 years in GA and then 5 years in Eagle and THEN apply for Jetstar
Couldn't agree more.