PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 26th Jul 2011, 06:08
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Adam,

sorry saw this thread only today, so I'll try to refer to your original post first and foremost. However, also some of the answers are interesting if not surprising.

As a pretty brand new aircraft owner I've come to almost avoid telling people I own an aircraft in this short period. The reaction is always the same, perhaps best summed up by my dear mum "Have you gone nuts? Who do you think you are? You're not rich. You're always trying to be posh!"
I'd say you've just quoted the single most dangerous issue for General Aviation that is out there and that is threatening to destroy us as a whole.

How did it come to this? How come owning a clapped out 152, or a Jodel, is seen as "trying to be posh, rich boys toys" but buying an Audi S4, BMW, or owning a boat, or going on vacation, or riding motorcycles, doesn't?
Well, at least in Europe talking about those is not wise either

They certainly won't cost any less as a hobby. An Audi S4 costs about twice as much to buy as my Aero Commander did. The payments, service and insurance would probably not be far off what I pay for flying 100hrs a year.
Yes, but the difference is that owning a car is something almost everyone does. And while the press and the envy mob can to an extent differentiate between the 15 year old family van and an S4 or similar, they totally fail to do so with airplanes, because they first of all don't have the faintest idea, nor do they want to have an idea but they want to have a target to vent their own failings and frustrations at.

So I've decided to fight this and try my best to educate people from now on, and maybe also promote aircraft ownership and flying in the meantime. It's not that expensive compared to other things, even though the prices have gone through the roof. Or maybe I'm wrong in fighting it? Maybe I should embrace the "posh" cachet and revel in its exclusivity?
No, you are absolutely right. And I'd say the same to the other owners who have answered here about keeping quiet. That is what did get us into the mess we are in. People keep it hushed up in fear of reprecussions. Why? Are we doing something illegal? Are we hiding "dirty money" in our airplanes? Are we all already conditioned and intimidated to the extent that we ourselfs believe that owning a plane is actually something asocial and bad? Sometimes I get this idea. And it could not be further from the truth.

How do you justify it or argue it as an aircraft owner when that inevitable discussion comes up?
Justify is an ugly word in this regard, as personally I see no reason for the need of a justification. We are free people in a more or less free society, so why the hell do we have to justify anything? What gives anyone the RIGHT to ACCUSE us, to force us into justification?

How do I argue the case? Well, up front honest and straight forward figures. That is how. No other way really helps.

People need to realize that today the average privately owned 4 seater costs less than a middle class car, sometimes starting at less than ANY new car at all. For what I paid for my aircraft, I could not have bought any new car and not a lot of used ones either. If one browses planecheck or other such sites, aircraft ownership can start at less than £15'000 for fairly decent airplanes, reliable travellers such as Cherokee 180's, 140's, Cessna 172's or vintage Mooneys such as mine.

Further, one needs to put the cost of the actual flying in relation to the use of the car everyone has. In my case, with a 140 kt / 8 GPH airplane, this will show that a flight over a given distance will burn LESS fuel and cost LESS money than if I were to drive the same route. I've argued this many times with some ready calculated routes. Driving what in the air is a 200 NM leg, will amount to a road distance of up to 1.5-2.0 times the distance, depending on terrain and roads. My standard route is actually some 300 NM long if driven by car, but 180 NM by plane. I fly 1:20 to reach my route, buring some 12 USG, the flight will cost some £250 in our money. If I apply the set rate per mile for the use of my car, as the tax office allows me to deduct for work purposes, this trip will set me back £320, one way. Plus, it will take me 4-5 hours depending on traffic, meaning I need to spend the night. Also, I will burn more fuel.

Proving this, by showing honest and straightforward figures, shuts up a good quantity of naggers. Letting them sit in the cabin of 1950's creature comforts shuts up some more. They can see the difference between a Mooney short body and their Renault Scenic bloody quick, thank you very much. Luxury? Not really.

I do believe that it should be the goal and foremost priority of many organisations and every single owner to be an ambassador for GA, out of pure self preservation. Seeing that people like EASA and other governmental money chargers have long abided by the prejudice that all aircraft owners are filthy rich has brought us the horrible charges and over the top taxation that we have to live with today. We have shut up about them, in fear they would grow worse if we didn't, for far too long.

So Adam, thanks for asking the question and thanks for making the effort. Do it. All of you. Every single owner and pilot out there, if you have any sort of self preserving conciousness left, do NOT shut up about your flying but speak your mind. Have numbers ready. Be willing to fight. Otherwise, they will eventually prove us right and GA will start from Citations up beacuse envy and petty nagging will have killed the rest off.

Best regards
AN2 Driver