PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 05:24
big buddah

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only reason any airline hires anybody is to make money.
Yes you're right but it should not be doing it out of you the employee! The jetstar bean counters look at you the cadet as another revenue stream and will continue to milk you for it. I love to see a break down of the profit they are making out of cadet training?
The cadets should ask for a cost break down and compare it to what they could pay for it elsewhere?

The road to the airlines doesn't have to involve the years of poverty, risk-taking and uncertainty that the GA path requires.
There is many other lines of aviation other than the airlines. I've operated for many good & better paying operations worldwide that you would call "GA" on better pay and conditions than the jetstar F/o package. Without poverty, risk taking or uncertainty.
Turbo prop F/o's in NZ are getting paid more than the direct entry jetstar F/o. You have better pay and conditions working for Mt Cook or Air Nelson, so your argument doesn't stack up to me!

NZALPA is a toothless old tiger that has had it's day, I wouldn't hold your breath expecting any help from them.
"Them" is every NZALPA member. Every airline/ATC in NZ has their ALPA council and is only as strong as the pilot group that you are involved with. Why do you think over the years these groups have negotiated fear deals for themselves? because they got together and worked as a team for a better deal. Something Remoak you don't seem to keen to do?

So what EBA/CEA are you employed on in NZ????? Individual?

If and when Air NZ need pilots, they will make a pragmatic decision based on your qualifications and experience. They don't hold grudges against other airlines, that's the sort of crap that groups of pilots in bars do. More to the point, if you don't go down the Jetstar route, you won't have the qualifications to apply to Air NZ in any case. Not that Air NZ are ever likely to hire directly onto the A320 anyway...
I'm not saying that the airlines will have a grudge against you. They just want a driver to get from a to b as cheap as possible.
To think that after 3 years of the jetstar cadet scheme it will easier to get into Air NZ is to be hugely mistaken. So if you are going to do the cadet scheme to having a plan of staying in NZ long term you will have poverty and uncertainty! jetstar are already offshoring and undercutting their own crew so what do really think is going to happen to you?