PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting medals back to descendants
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 04:59
RAFEngO74to09

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Your Welcome

A2QFI

You're welcome - I enjoyed doing the detective work. I never cease to be amazed at the power of Google !

I think Sqn Ldr Tweedie may have been single as a wife was not referred to in the obituary and therefore it is possible that there are no surviving relatives (he had one brother who died before him).

He may well have been CO 14 Sqn at the time of his death in a flying accident so it might be worth checking with 14 Sqn Association (now that 14 Sqn has disbanded) to see who has the diaries / photo albums - there may be further clues there.

Given Sqn Ldr Tweedie's distinguished career (OBE and AFC by age 31 !) and the fact that his mother was a well-known travel writer at a time when most people contemplating worldwide travel would have got their information / recommendations from books, it is probable that your colleague's father did purchase the medals because of the stories behind them.

Also, I see that some of the references to his mother are as "Mrs Alec-Tweedie" so perhaps he had a double-barrelled surname and some of the press reports were inaccurate (nothing changed there then !) or his surname was "Alec Tweedie" without a hyphen.

Last edited by RAFEngO74to09; 26th Jul 2011 at 05:30.