PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach Climb Gradient question?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 04:24
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
I got the impression that some posters were suggesting that one engine out performance was not considered when developing missed approach procedures

I think that's precisely what some posters were suggesting. FlightPathOBN, aterpster, and others, such as OzExpat (who hasn't spotted this thread yet) are expert in the procedures discipline and I defer to their expertise.

The OEI case is left to the airline operator and, for other operations, (quite inappropriately) the poor old pilot who has next to no real chance of figuring it out on the run.

OPS 1.510 goes some of the way to a sensible protocol but is still rather lacking, especially for the twin fraternity.

Checking the OEI gradient capability (for which configuration ?) is false comfort and doesn't consider performance capability with respect to reconfiguration during the miss.

Attempting to use the takeoff escape procedure for a miss carries with it a number of uncomfortable problems, potential and real.

For a difficult terrain runway, the only sensible way to approach the OEI problem is to have the ops eng folks do a relevant study for the miss. Any suggestion that the pilot can wing it on the day works only for benign terrain situations.

theficklefinger, having ventured into subject material in which his/her knowledge appears to be a little lacking in detail then received a bit of a friendly bollocking from the residents - goes with the territory in technical discussions and is something one needs to be able to withstand.

The post grad student has a far more intense time of it when defending his/her thesis.