PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lift Produced Where Wing Transects Fuselage
Old 26th Jul 2011, 02:27
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grity

have a look at this nice picture, it shows, through condensation, the distribution of lift on an airplane during a high-g maneuver
That's an F-14. As I understand it, the pancake produces the most lift at high alphas, at supersonic speeds with the wing swept back...

and the lift over the fuselage in this case looks not like in some more teoretical pictures with lift over the fuselage
What if the wing's in the middle of the fuselage?

bearfoil

Hope you are safe. I was about to bring up 'lifting body', parasite fighter, and 'gremlin'.
Gremlin?

Many folks disapprove of lifting body, NASA liked it well enough to base the Shuttle on it.

Problem? Intuitively, and visually, things that don't look like wings make Bernoullians anxious.
Well, the laws of physics are what they are regardless of what you believe them to be. If I believe the sky's green and it's blue, my belief doesn't change the sky's color; the sky's blue.

Mad (Flt) Scientist

No. Wing-body is the term we use at my current (and indeed former) employer to mean the total lift of both wing and body, but excluding the tailplane contribution.
The tailplane reduces overall lift doesn't it?

Taill-off is commonly tested in wind tunnel development so it's useful to have a term for that condition. It therefore includes the TOTAL fuselage contribution.
So the term "tail off" includes total fuselage contribution to lift? I assume it doesn't include the tail... (Not to sound stupid, but I want to know if I'm wrong).