PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 02:12
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thought process behind this is quite simple:
I get a rating on an aircraft in high use with airlines all over the world
I get to start building hours on said aircraft with very low existing hours which for NZ and Australia is very very rare
If, once I have enough hours to look at moving onto another airline, I dont like the conditions at JQ I can move on.
Sure you get a type rating, well actually you buy a type rating, adding to the vast expense you have already incurred during your cadet training.

Yes, you build hours on a jet which as you've pointed out is very very rare in NZ and Oz. Have you bothered to ask yourself why it's so rare in this part of the world? I'll tell you it's because there's never been a shortage of suitable applicants to fly jets on this part of the world.

Have you ever asked why are you being offered this "wonderful' opportunity to fly a shiny jet with such low hours? That's so Jetstar can pay you a pittance, other pilots wanting a jet job know how crap the conditions are and are not interested.

Where are you going to move on to if you don't like it? Do you really know how things are in the aviation industry, or do you just know what the likes of CTC and Jetstar have told you?

PhoenixNZ, You really do need to think this whole scenario through, right to the end, to see where it's likely to lead for your career if you really think this is good move right now. Once you start thinking along the lines of "I'll do this to get a start" what about the next time you want to "Get a start" how far will you bend over then. How much money will it cost you and your family.

You think it's costing right now? Wait until you've spent a good proportion of your career having to bend over to get ahead and you still don't have enough money to take the wife and kids to the zoo. Remember that big fat loan you will have after finishing the cadet scheme and paying for the type rating.