PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 02:09
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, 'nuts, the stall AoA for the Airbus may have something more to do with mach than I am familiar with. Most jets I flew stalled at an AoA, whether supersonic or subsonic. The supersonic regime is more complicated, but big deal. Only problems I ever saw with a subsonic design had to do with shock waves over the wings, ailerons and HS that caused neat things like control reversal and a nose down "tuck" that required you to reduce speed real quick using spoilers, speed brakes, reduced thrust, etc.

My point is that it is possible to "zoom" at a "comfortable" gee and AoA and then run outta energy and control surface authority, passing thru all the "limits" and "protections" that the system is supposed to provide. We proved the point back in the late 1970's in my little jet.

Can't get the download JC. Will try later. Is the point that the Airbus has crappy aero characteristics?

Respectfully,

P.S. I agree that avoiding a stall is a sound procedure. We can worry about pieces falling off later due to high speed or gee.