PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 00:06
big buddah

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As someone who hopefully in a years time be a Jetstar cadet I've found this discussion quite interesting.

When I'm done with my Ab Initio training I have every intention of applying for the Jetstar Cadet program.

My thought process behind this is quite simple:
I get a rating on an aircraft in high use with airlines all over the world
I get to start building hours on said aircraft with very low existing hours which for NZ and Australia is very very rare
If, once I have enough hours to look at moving onto another airline, I dont like the conditions at JQ I can move on.
Yes, the pay is lower compared to other JQ pilots. I am more than willing to accept that in exchange for getting my airline career off to a flying start (pun intended).

If I was to choose NOT to do the JQ cadets program then in all probability I will have to fight tooth and nail with every other 250 hour pilot with a CPL for one of the few charter GA type jobs out there. I wont get paid any more than I was compared to JQ and I'll have no 320 rating, no 320 hours and then have to fight again to get into an airline.

Taking a lower pay than my colleagues in the job is a small price to pay to get my career off to that sort of start.
PhoenixNZ you are a absolute mumpet! You are the sole reason why thousands of pilots world wide are fighting to save their jobs and better their future.
You are self centered short sighted and are dream pilot for management. You'll have quick gains in "your career" but will end up off side with the pilots groups. This will massively restricted your future movement. You will find that your decision based now may become a serious blotch on your CV. As mentioned the better airlines in the region won't hire you. If you think because you have a A320 rating you'll be able to go to Air NZ, think again! Suddenly you will see that managements cunning plan to have you stuck on your current terms and conditions has worked! You'll begin the fight to raise your terms and conditions but with no luck as you signed up as a lowly cadet that no one cares about.

The other local jet operators are trying hard to improve their conditions Jetconnect, Pacificblue, Air NZ. All you will be doing to them is pushing a knife in their backs. You will be signing a contract to earn nearly 50% of what these operators pay terms & conditions wise? Think hard about how they feel about that.

The only reason jetstar has started these cadet positions is for them to make money not you.

The road of the GA pilot in NZ, OZ, Africa ,PNG etc has been well walked, a true and trusted way of building hrs and life experiences. It is where you make your pilot friends. It is earning the respect of the these fellow colleagues thats guarantees your future career!

You should start by talking to people in the industry and definitely not people who hang around CTC or the jetstar cadet program.
NZALPA the professional pilot group of NZ is doing everything to raise terms & conditions in NZ and in conjunction with AFAP etc. You will being going against these professional groups endeavours. These are the people you want on your side working for you! Talk to them!

Last edited by big buddah; 26th Jul 2011 at 00:23.