PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL Medical Standards
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2002, 19:55
EastMids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QDM,

Fully understand what you're saying. And I agree, albeit that there's a risk that any pilot with a normal JAR medical could just keel over and die at the controls of an airplane. So whilst there may possibly be an increased risk with certain NPPL holders, there is none the less a risk with any pilot at the controls - its been said many times that a medical only really guanantees that a pilot is fit to fly on the day of the medical, and not necessarily six months or even two years later.

> I'm just saying, as the person who signs the certificate, that
> sometimes my signature will be an uneasy one. I also know
> that I am not alone in this.

Despite not being a medic, I can understand that too. I am sure its not easy, but at the end of the day surely the rules have to be applied, and if the rules are met the certificate gets issued - anything else sets up the medical practicioner as a law unto themselves. And despite the responsiblilty that goes with signing that certificate, surely if the rules have been met if anything does happen the responsibility is not yours (easy to say I'm sure).

I think that the onus for declaring medical conditions to passengers should really be with the pilot. All of us pilots take a decision about whether we are fit to fly before every flight - we all suffer from short term conditions from time to time that should make us decline to fly. I would hope that most will take a responsible attitude to short term as well as long term conditions that could impact the safety of a flight, as anyone who takes command of an aeroplane is putting their own life at risk as much as they are putting their passengers at risk.

Andy