PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 25th Jul 2011, 23:28
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My condolences to the pilot's family and friends. RIP.

I should say that I know nothing about this tragic accident, but from what others say it seems to be almost exactly the same as so, so many others.

Talking in general, these VFR into IMC accidents in light helicopters are just awful, but oh so avoidable. It is nothing to do with what we spend time training students about (i.e. how to control the aircraft) but it is about quite awful decision making.

VFR helicoptering over open countryside, if you don't like what you see, land in a big field. I have done it many times, as I am sure have others. But I did have to learn this the hard way. No one really lead me through it, I learnt by experience. The more you do it, the easier it is to (mentally) do again. The mental barrier is broken.

Our training of pilots is seriously deficient because these sort of decision-making processes are not part of "the syllabus". Of course, we also tend not to train in these poor conditions. As training gets more and more regulated/restricted it is less and less likely that we will find ourselves out in these sort of conditions, where an experienced pilot/instructor can pass on his "wisdom".

If you think about it, there is not much clever about this. A certain amount of pole twiddling - keep clear of cloud, slowdown to be able to stop within your visibility; look critically at what is ahead of you. But mainly it is a question of recognising the land-out option and not being afraid/embarrassed/feeling it is a failure to land-out.

Oh and we should immediately stop that pointless and dangerous "instrument flying" that is part of the standard syllabus. It says exactly the wrong thing to the student. And it simply does not equip them to go IMC, whilst pretending to them that it is possible. In practice, in a small unstabilised light helicopter almost no one will survive a real inadvertent IMC incident.

Of course, change is now unlikely to be possible within a generation (in Europe). The great EASA monolith has been created with all its inertia: committees of non-aviators completely obsessed with bureaucracy and airlines, checking the checkers and auditing almost everything to death. Who cares if a few tens of GA hele pilots get killed? Are the IHST and similar people going to be able to make changes? I would not bet my modest pension on it.

Very sadly.