PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training?
Thread: Training?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2011, 21:27
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My best friend, who was an exchange student in the US, got punched in the eye by his roommate after a few beers one night, and he went to the emergency room (I call him a wuss for going to the ER over a blackeye). The doctor prescribed him some over the counter pain medication (advil) and told him to put some ice on it.

He didnīt have health insurance, the bill came out to $800. So, to second what SoCalApp said, you will need health insurance (in addition to renterīs insurance)

Anyhow, I have a good friend who went to Ormond Beach before they changed names to EASA. During his time there, there were two in-flight engine failures and one crash landing on a golf course. Most of the students were thinking of leaving and going elsewhere. This was not too long ago.

Another thing that I learned recently...
I was speaking with a JAA instructor at a well known school that does a lot of IR conversions from FAA IR holders. This school gets quite a few students who received their Instrument Ratings at the various JAA schools in Florida. This instructor (plus many Europeans that I have met) was under the impression that NDBs donīt exist in the US. This instructor never met anyone who came from a product of FAA training who could fly RMIs or ADFs (until I came along and showed that we do train RMIs and ADFs in the US, if you go to the right school). I was astonished. This instructor said that they lose a lot of time in the conversion courses just trying to teach basic ADF and RMI skills.

Has anyone here done their instrument rating in a JAA school in Florida and learned to fly an ADF or RMI?