PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2011, 18:37
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A current JQ 320 Capt NZ nets on average, NZD $8500 Per month doing 80-90 hours per month ( nearer 90 ). 10 days off per month and 9 hours average duty per work day. Including flight pay, but not including bonus.
Mates in the sand pit ( EK ) net around 12,000 NZD per month ( thanks to tanking USD ) plus accommodation provided. So that's ( based on a 4 week month ) NZD $ 2,125 per week Jetstar vs NZD $3,000 per week EK. Difference , 875 per week
I just want to add a bit of my own experience here, and its based off my payslip as a year 2 F/O at EK.
Yes its true we here in the sandpit have taken a hit with respect to the NZD (relatively speaking I guess)
Having said that, I'm not entirely sure the headline figure for EK skippers of 12K NZ net per month is accurate based on my pay packet at least, and its worth saying that the headline figure is meaningless, what you need to look at is what you are left with at the end of the month as well as what is affordable and what your standard of living actually is.
First things first however, the Jet* F/O package is a disgrace, however its clearly aimed at new joiners who will by virtue of their lack of marketable experience climb over each other to secure a position.
The Capt's package, broadly speaking is at the lower end of what I would consider acceptable, and in all reality what Jet* can get away with.
Like I said earlier.(as a 2nd year EK F/O)...to back up Bypass with some actual figures..I cleared last month approx 11K NZD including flightpay, but exclusive of super, bonus etc etc etc, and again, to earn that in NZ, I'd have to be earning the thick end of 14-14.5K per month too net that.
I'm also gonna throw something else into the mix here, living in NZ is far far more expensive than it ever has been...in point of fact I've found that it is almost on a par with dubai, and before you scoff...what do you now pay for a litre of petrol?, a pint of milk?, a leg of lamb?, a loaf of bread?, a few fillets of fish?, electricity?, plus a few more things besides.....I can tell you all of these things are now considerably more expensive in NZ than here in DXB.
As this is not meant to be an EK vs Jet* thread, I'm gonna stop there with the money aspect, what I would say however is, salaries in NZ are not keeping up with the inflated cost of living (have you tried buying a house in the AKL region recently?), and at some point in the not too distant future the NZD is going to dip vs the USD....and you'll have even less purchasing power.
For someone like me at my stage in life with a young growing family, working offshore is a no brainer (we can get back to NZ whenever we need to)...NZ will continue to be the land of low pay...and a reducing standards of living.

P.S. All my numbers are based on my families costs living between DXB and AKL over the last 6 months