PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After how many hours did you go for your first solo?
Old 13th Oct 2002, 18:22
cessnababe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does seem as if the hours to first solo theme is a competitive pilot obsession. Perhaps there are a couple of useful extra questions which should be linked, i.e. how old were you when you learnt to fly? Over what period of time and how many total hours to get the licence?

As an instructor for more than ten years, I have noticed that in general the older you are the longer it takes to solo and the longer the period of learning the longer to solo. It seems fairly consistent that those who learn in a concentrated period whether in the USA where the weather is consistent, or whether on a flying scholarship or integrated course, will solo in 10-15 hours. However the most extreme example I came across was a student of 55ish who soloed in nearly 100 hours and completed the PPL in 125.

Amongst my own students there have been several aged over 50 who took 40 or more hours to solo and then completed the training in about 70-80 hours total. I really do not think that this is unusual in our climate and also given the fact that as you get
older it becomes harder to learn new motor skills. Add to that the increased fear....

As to the chaps in the 40's getting a licence in 20 hours, well there was so much less to do - they did not have to bother about the radio nor really worry about navigation - they could land in a field and ask the way!! (Sorry been reading too much Biggles)