PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Huey Tail Rotor Failures
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2011, 13:43
SASless

Received 553 Likes on 224 Posts
Geoffers,

Working with the Israeli Air Force investigating a Bell 212 crash that occurred when there was an overloading of the hoist....I came up with a way to alter the lateral CG to meet their calculated Lateral CG.

Look into your screens....find the one that allows for individual seat loading....and you should be able to load the aircraft in a manner to approach the necessary lateral or forward CG.

Place the aircraft in the flight regime you want.....call up that screen having loaded the "new" weights.....then punch "Enter". See what kind of reaction you get! You might have to punch in a Tail Rotor failure of some sort as well.

One of the ways I teach Loss of Control....during a Max performance takeoff...I allow the power pedal go forward but do not let it return....and induce the failure as naturally as possible. Some folks like to put the pedal fully forward.....but as one recalls a Bell 204/5/212/412 all have exactly four bolts holding the tail boom on. The training evolution is only to provide sufficient input to demonstrate the reaction one will confront....not duplicate it. Why stress the aircraft unnecessarily?

If you are yawing at or less the approved rate of turn for the aircraft....what need of HUMs does one need? The fact the aircraft is spinning due to a lack of control response does not necessarily over stress the aircraft.

The main difference in doing it in the real aircraft and the Sim....is one's subconscious self is aware of a "risk" where in the Sim it takes a lot of time to forget it is only an Adult Video Game. Sometimes you can get so wrapped up in the Sim you do forget....but it really is rare.

As to HUMS and all.....one should never let the aircraft get to a situation that creates excessive loading or puts the aircraft into a situation the Instructor cannot safely recover from and land the aircraft. There is a huge difference between being silly and being professional.

Perfect example is Dennis Kenyon, The Redbull 105, Herr Zimmerman, and Nick Lappos.....all who have done some very amazing things in a helicopter but did so in a very calculated way. Tail Rotor failure training is no different.

I prefer doing it to the multi-colored pencil method so prevalent in the UK.