PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2011, 12:18
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TIGO in Brazil 5

So as we leave the operation for a while let’s head off to town. The daily commute.

In the Amazon Delta it can rain!

During our first month at Amapa it rained, rained and rained some more.
Amazon rain is heavy! Everything was soaked, our clothes, us, the helicopter (inside and out), the hotel rooms, the roads were water logged and just mud. Just getting to and from work was a nightmare.

During the rainy season the water level in the surrounding swamp/marshland crept slowly upwards until making the mud track impassable some days.
The only things that really seemed to enjoy the rain were the water buffalo.

Every morning the Bristow/Aeroleo staff having left the "Hotel" at 6ish will have endured the 10 km tortuous journey to work along a dirt track filled with pot holes, mud holes and lined with vultures probably waiting for us to get permanently stuck in the mud. The journey could take 30 minutes to two hours by minibus or 4 minutes by helicopter!!
……and here we all are on the return journey, in the steamed up minibus. We were stuck again! Not exactly an all-terrain vehicle that minibus. Needless to say I was standing in 6 inches of liquid brown mud taking this picture. You might remember a picture in Part 4 with a shoe shine man, I got my money’s worth out of the shoe shine man that night J