PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 25th Jul 2011, 08:41
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've decided to fight this and try my best to educate people from now on, and maybe also promote aircraft ownership and flying in the meantime. It's not that expensive compared to other things, even though the prices have gone through the roof. Or maybe I'm wrong in fighting it? Maybe I should embrace the "posh" cachet and revel in its exclusivity?

How do you justify it or argue it as an aircraft owner when that inevitable discussion comes up?
Well the best of luck in trying to fight it - as others have mentioned there are public perceptions which have formed over a long period. Given the average salary level in the UK for men in full time employment is less than £28k you are going to struggle! Effectively that means probably two thirds of the population would see any expensive hobby as being for 'rich people'.

As for the inevitabel discussion - it is by no means 'inevitable' - only if you make it! I find I get on with people much better if I simly do not mention the aircraft. So I would suggest that as your starting point. If however you want to tell the world you own an aircraft - then you have to accept the consequences - people will presume a significant level of 'disposable' income and probably treat you accordingly.

I was in the butchers two weekends ago and somehow the Euro lottery winners came up. The middle aged chap (a butcher) serving me was baffled as to why they actually did the lottery - 'because they already owned their own house'. Which tells you a lot about wealth, its lack of distribution and the perceptions which result from it. Telling this chap there are people who have a huge amount more than him but they do not regard themselves as 'rich' is going to cut little ice.