PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Huey Tail Rotor Failures
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2011, 23:56
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts
Dennis, I note your comments about lefts and rights ("lucky left / "rotten right" as I've heard it referred to many times, especially by Sikorsky exponents).

The term is also used about which is the "lucky", or helpful side for a crosswind to be blowing from, if there is a choice of landing direction.

I used to alternate between American and French helicopters (different main rotor directions) and wanted to remember which side was "lucky" or not.

I realised many years ago, after many years of flying and instructing on French helicopters (and quite a lot of experience of running a simulator for them), then later having to convert to back Sikorskys and finding it difficult to unlearn old habits, that the "lucky side" is always the retreating blade side.

If an acceptable approach can be set up with the nose offset out to the retreating blade side, raising the lever to cushion for landing will tend to align the nose back towards the 12 o'clock position, which is obviously what is needed at the very final stage.

I reckon I can probably remember the retreating blade side from the start up (!) so hopefully any confusion might be alleviated "in the unlucky event of".

"Rolling off the throttle" cannot be done on many larger types, especially FADEC equipped turbine ones, or not easily in those with roof mounted engine controls, especially twins.

BTW, I know of one middle eastern pilot who suffered a T/R driveshaft failure in a Puma at 140 kts. It flew straight at that speed. So he ran it on at 140 kts! Surprisingly, it stayed upright on its wheels but not surprisingly it used up all of the very long runway to stop.