PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Petrol exempt from carbon tax. Aviation included?
Old 24th Jul 2011, 23:31
MTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we can believe the news reports, today Chris Bowen will sign the agreement with the Malaysians on the "4000 for (maybe) 800" exchange.

I wait with bated breath to learn the details of the small print and the (doubtless numerous and even more doubtless costly) hidden clauses that it will contain.

Already we know that Australia will be responsible for the health and education of 'the 800' for all the time they remain in Malaysia. Now we have learned that they, ('the 800'), apart from carrying a special ID card that will excuse them beatings with the rotan, unlike any other refugees staying in Malaysia, they will be allowed to work.

I wonder if that translates into: "they will receive Australian CentreLink benefits while they remain in Malaysia if they are "unable" to work"?

And who, I wonder will house and feed 'the 800' for all the time they remain in Malaysia "at the back of the long queue"? (Why do I feel I already know the answer to this question?)

Given that we know that Australia will have no input into the 4000 genuine refugees we will take in lieu of 'the 800' (who many would say are NOT genuine refugees), am I the only one who feels a little apprehensive about just who these 4000 refugees will be, as in age, state of health and character? (I mean SURELY the Malaysians would not use this '4000 for (maybe) 800' exchange to clear their decks of troublemakers and people with health problems. Surely not.)

4000 people - that's 10, possibly 11 747 loads, almost certainly Malaysian Airlines charters (which will go back empty). Who, I wonder, will be paying for those charters? (Why do I feel I already know the answer to this question too?)

It all remains to be seen as the Devil shows himself, bit by bit over the next months or even years, in the details. I for one believe that Australians will find some very nasty and costly surprises in them.

Given this sorry excuse for a government's track record, perhaps 'surprises' isn't quite the right word.