PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are students aware of the danger they are in!?
Old 24th Jul 2011, 18:59
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whirls,
i hope it's not Jim Morrison's 'broken strings' of which you speak, as I find myself on the boards early like a very young parent but now wondering
in like fashion if we will survive and get 'to hold onto still' our live-ex cattle ban over here.
tet.

for punto and aotw,
I don't think it is a problem teaching them to ppl's. no one says you have to do them at fifty feet, why not above 1,000 feet. It's an excellent environment to disoriente your pupil and thus give them a far more comprehensive set of tools to ward off the evils sometime later.

let's say we are doing rate one turns, left right, roll out on this or that heading, continue rate one left etc. Now, we have done quick stops? yes, -nods wisely -, thank god remembered that bit.
Now continue turns left right, now lets roll out into a gentle quick stop on heading 160 say. OK very good now don't forget where the wind is from, what'd yer say 150? ah yes, that's all good, lets continue the lesson for a few minutes but now we'll tighten it up maintaining steep turns for two or three orbits this spot, each direction and again - and again more steep turns left right, again, now (when they're quite confused) please roll out into a fairly hard quick stop on to 330. Get's em every time.
If they learn how to recover from unusual attitudes at that early stage it's so much safer for them later, don't you think?

nothing unusual about that. also makes it much easier for them to later pick up the rudiments of handling for a low level rating specifically for mustering.

Of particular import is the fact that they must never be turning the aircraft about its axis but still travelling downwind and flaring - trying to decrease airspeed.
doing the quickstop out of a sustained steep turn teaches the bit about ONLY initiating the flare as the nose has entered the quarter of - into wind

it might have saved a certain pilot from being alarmingly disorientated at Port Phillip Bay during a photo mission in a R44 a couple of years ago when she pretty much lost it, all because she hadn't been led through such easy recovery type exercises I would suggest.

all you have to do to intiate such is to get them to zoom climb with the same wind in the 330 direction to come to a hover at say 1500 feet whilst talking to them in such a fashion that their attention is totally diverted at the critical moment when they are supposed to be applying power. gets experienced pilots nearly every time. wallll - the first time that is.

regards tet