PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2011, 18:35
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And now we need to find out why

From my age and name you can see that I probably lack any special knowledge of modern techniques or -ologies. However..

A Royal Flying Corps pilot was told " not to fly too high or too fast" and he would have seen the effects of flying too low or too slow on the airfield.
Most or many accidents were put down to " Pilot Error" (" No one will ever know...")

By page 31 of David Beaty's "The Human Cost of Aircraft Accidents" ( 1969) he had described three different Pitot/Static accidents - not always the " fault" of the aircraft. He goes on to look at a number of failings of the many humans who then were involved in making the safety of Air Transport even better. Humans are STILL relevant... ( Don't tell HAL.)

Some airlines only had Captains who never made mistakes, were called Sir, and from their Accident Reports, were all rated "Above Average".

Most of the many hundreds of crew members with whom I flew, I would guess, aspired to be just Average, and stay out of the Accident Reports. First names or nicknames were used. It was thought easier to say, "Watch it, Joe.." Rather than " Sir, you are about to hit the sea wall.."

In the crew room of one fleet, built by B., it was joked that Emergency Drills should be done quickly, much more so, than accurately and appropriate. Another fleet, made by a different B. was told that their new aircraft had been so designed that you should sit on you hands and count up to ten before you do anything.

In September 1947 C54 "Robert E. Lee" flew from Newfoundland to Brize Norton, fully automatically. Probably not to today's safety standards, I would guess.