PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strobe lights………….do you think they are essential?
Old 24th Jul 2011, 17:20
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daysleeper
are you going to be flying in low light (dusk/night/dawn) or over dark backgrounds or high dark terrain?
Originally Posted by gasax
Obviously in bright sunlight strobes are of no particular use - but when the light levels go down - pretty good.
Actually, I do fly in low light situations quite a bit……but that´s due to the local weather and my preference for late afternoon flying.

Originally Posted by Fokkerwokker
Strobes are good for a gloomy day but the real attention-getters are the 'wig wag' function for landing lights, where they can flash on/off.

There is a significant difference to an aircraft's conspicuity if they are heading towards you with those flashing away. I see it a lot in Alaska and it really does make a difference.

Lookout is a very poorly practiced discipline these days and anything to alert an aviator of a 'head to head' has just got to be a bonus.
Thank you……..an encouraging bit of experience from you.
I have spotted planes quicker air to air because of the strobes.

Originally Posted by Shoestring Flyer
I take the view that anything that just might help someone see me has got to be a good thing.
It doesn't matter if they can't be seen on some days....they just might help someone see you on that one day when otherwise they might not have.
Your choice of course but they only have to save your skin once in a lifetime of differing light conditions and they then obviously become worth it!
My thoughts exactly!!!
I looked for other club aircraft air to air, I KNEW they were close……….and yet I had trouble spotting them. Happens to be fact that I spotted the ones with strobes just a touch earlier than the ones without.
Those couple of seconds may prove to be vital one day………..

Originally Posted by The Heff

The only time I've ever noticed strobe lights in the air is when flying at night; but as the OP's LSA won't be cleared for night-flying this is really a poor argument for strobes in this case.
As was mentioned above, it doesn´t have to be night to have lower light situations…………so I don´t think my argument was that poor to be honest with you.

Originally Posted by foxmoth
The only things that are ESSENTIAL are:- wings (can be fixed or rotary) and a set of controls, anything else - engine/instruments etc are just nice to have!
Yes yes, maybe "essential" was a poor choice of words.
However, I´d like to include some kind of propulsion to get up there, a landing gear (depending on what type of aircraft) and perhaps a sitting (or standing) arrangement to your list!!!

Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
who could want strobes anyway?
Uuuhhm, me?????????

###Ultra Long Hauler###