PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 24th Jul 2011, 16:47
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamFrisch

How did it come to this? How come owning a clapped out 152, or a Jodel, is seen as "trying to be posh, rich boys toys" but buying an Audi S4, BMW, or owning a boat, or going on vacation, or riding motorcycles, doesn't? They certainly won't cost any less as a hobby. An Audi S4 costs about twice as much to buy as my Aero Commander did. The payments, service and insurance would probably not be far off what I pay for flying 100hrs a year. If you're a boat owner, then lord have mercy on you. That will probably cost you twice as much as owning any aircraft, yet nobody would bat an eyelid at that. Any exotic hobbies, like go-carting, motocrossing etc would certainly cost as much if not more.
I know what you mean, I own a brand spanking Rotax 914 powered 2 seater……….and I get the odd frowns from friends & family.
Yes, they join me for a spin, but it sure feels that they think I am supposedly live above my means or at least try to be "higher" than them, for some kind of weird reason.

I keep it a bit quite too sometimes, about my recent purchase………..I know I have my Baby because of my passion, and not to impress others.
Pouring that plane-money in a new car, clothes and / or fancy holidays would definitely yield more attention………but I won´t!!

But, you´re battling an uphill battle…………..prejudice will always exist, Adam Frisch. I can give you maaaaaany other examples in my life where people just assume.

Cheers,

###Ultra Long Hauler###