PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 24th Jul 2011, 14:32
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?

As a pretty brand new aircraft owner I've come to almost avoid telling people I own an aircraft in this short period. The reaction is always the same, perhaps best summed up by my dear mum "Have you gone nuts? Who do you think you are? You're not rich. You're always trying to be posh!"

Nothing could be further from the truth of course - as I said I rarely tell people I own an aircraft just because this is the reaction one inevitably gets. If I'd wanted to be posh, I would not have bought an old vintage aircraft, I would have gone for the M5. Aircraft ownership is truly the realm of old fogeys, to which I now belong. In fact, at 40 years of age I'm considered a youngster in these circles. I wish I would get laid left, right and center by young lovely ladies impressed by my aircraft ownership, but the truth is rather more sobering; I'll be sipping awful tepid tea in a leaking club house with other old fogeys nerding out about a strut or a magneto. Less sex appeal is hard to find. Less posh is also hard to find.

How did it come to this? How come owning a clapped out 152, or a Jodel, is seen as "trying to be posh, rich boys toys" but buying an Audi S4, BMW, or owning a boat, or going on vacation, or riding motorcycles, doesn't? They certainly won't cost any less as a hobby. An Audi S4 costs about twice as much to buy as my Aero Commander did. The payments, service and insurance would probably not be far off what I pay for flying 100hrs a year. If you're a boat owner, then lord have mercy on you. That will probably cost you twice as much as owning any aircraft, yet nobody would bat an eyelid at that. Any exotic hobbies, like go-carting, motocrossing etc would certainly cost as much if not more.

So I've decided to fight this and try my best to educate people from now on, and maybe also promote aircraft ownership and flying in the meantime. It's not that expensive compared to other things, even though the prices have gone through the roof. Or maybe I'm wrong in fighting it? Maybe I should embrace the "posh" cachet and revel in its exclusivity?

How do you justify it or argue it as an aircraft owner when that inevitable discussion comes up?