PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2011, 09:18
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TIGO In Brazil 2

Finally, we had enough concrete on the hangar floor to get half of the Tiger under cover.
The picture shows GPC endeavouring to replace a timex main gearbox support fitting which would put the aircraft AOG if this couldn't be accomplished. The replacement item was on its way (apparently!) in a single-engined light aircraft but the weather at the airfield for most of the day was grim, with heavy rain and very low cloud. The crane had been brought up from Macapa and with the help of a JCB digger made it through the mud and into the hangar. The gearbox weight was then supported and everything prepared for the part replacement but by 2pm the weather was still awful and nothing had been heard from Jay Lacaze who was in the light aircraft.
At 3pm there were a few breaks in the clouds and shortly after, the sound of a small plane could be made out and sure enough out of the murk came the gearbox fitting which was on the aircraft within 30 minutes and the whole team in Edmilson's bar within the hour!

Prior to being able to get the aircraft under cover, Ian and Kev had these covers made up which if you look closely you can just make out about 20 guy ropes that held them all in place. On a nice single flight day with fine weather and a team of six, putting the covers on was manageable, however, in the pouring rain, wind blowing, a team of two and after the third flight with darkness imminent.......................*?!*"#!?.

The Bristow crew, arriving late after a well deserved lie in, were astounded to see the registration on the Tiger had changed to PP-MIM even though we were still on the British register. After much discussion Brazilian style G-TIGO was restored and PP-MIM painted over (see pic)until a few days later when we finally made the Brazilian register, which was no mean feat in itself, when the whole process was reversed. Kev Smith would probably need many years of counselling after this posting!!

Just when we thought we couldn't reach any higher celebrity status in the town the Aeroleo S76 breezed onto the scene. By coincidence the road back to town was yet again blocked and we flew over the town looking for a suitable landing site which turned out to be the hospital forecourt just opposite the hotel. Four minutes by S76 or forty minutes down the muddy track - I know which I preferred, however we only managed to squeeze a return trip out of it. As I was taking this picture, the wall behind me was packed with about 100 children who had run over to watch the helicopter landing.