PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines CEO: Qantas not a "premium" airline
Old 24th Jul 2011, 07:17
The Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedy, you don’t seem to understand that we are debating two possible scenarios. Your argument skips between the two because you have are blinkered by fear mongering.

QAL, the airline you probably work for, can base crews in Singapore if they chose. They can probably even offer different employment conditions. But they must be Australian license holders. They must be employable in Australia. QAL CANNOT operate their current mainline fleet crewed by Vietnamese licensed Cambodians based in Singapore. If you believe this will occur then I have a big red bridge in San Francisco I want to sell you.

And so again I ask, in the above example, what makes you think the standards in Singapore will be lower than the standards in Sydney. QAL flight training standards will still apply and oversight will still be provided by the Australian regulator. CX could be used as a comparison. They may employ Australians to fly aircraft based in Australia as a cost saving measure but they can’t escape the cutting edge oversight provided by Hong Kong CAD. They still work for CX and they must qualify for a Hong Kong work visa.

Now, lets shift gears and talk about QF starting up a separate airline in Asia under the QF brand. This will most likely occur and was almost ready to go ahead in the form of Adam Air in Indonesia. It will be a separate business, with ownership determined by local law according to which country it is located in. Unlike the first example, QF will be free to employ anyone they chose to fly these aircraft on whatever terms the market dictates. This is the scenario that I suspect you “fear” because you will not be involved.

With both examples I have outlined, your industrial action is pointless. QAL cannot bypass you and employ foreign crew to fly the aircraft you presently operate. This cant happen. Conversely, if QF launch another QF branded but foreign-based business, you have no legal right to demand employment by this airline and any such claim will be rapidly dismissed in court. The employees of QF do not own the brand. You have a right to enforce the terms of your employment with QAL but nothing more.

“But the most important thing here is that Qantasia will be a disaster because it will be seen for what it is, a cynical offshoring of Qantas. It will have no brand credibility in Asia and, worse, it will destroy the brand in Australia which means that the cash cow domestic business is stuffed.”

This may be true but it doesn’t relate in anyway to your proposed industrial action. The QF board isn’t really interested in salaried workers providing their opinion as to how successful the airlines long-term strategy will be.