PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Folly of fools...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 17:17
flaps 15 3 green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folly of fools...

Is it just me or is the current training 'system' designed only for those considered the folly of fools?
Being a student pilot these days is being but nothing more than a customer. Today's market is saturated with 'pilots' of which the majority have licenses only because of their abilities to dispense vast amounts of £££ and not much else. Pay to fly schemes, the lack of proper aptitude and pilot assessment, and the lack of Government or Airline co-operation regarding funding for those talented few, some could argue, is filtering out the talented and only the rich need apply - there is not much redundancy or desire from FTO's and in some cases airlines, not to train those willing to pay over the odds it seems...
I've read a few accident reports lately in which pilot error has been the cause - mainly low houred FO's with terrible training reports who've paid their way in. Airbuses and India ring a bell.
My brother didn't pay 30k after med school to become a surgeon. He became a surgeon though a combination of hard work, aptitude and experience. God help us all if the NHS ever adopt a 'Pay to operate' philosophy!!
Granted, I was lucky and was offered a scholarship with a well known british airline many moons ago; these days I'd probably not bother.
It will continue to get worse if the current system continues to grossly fuel an exploited market. Use your head not your £££.