PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100LL issue - affect on future aircraft depreciation
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 13:38
Pilot DAR

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts
Though I cannot speak to the 'general feeling", my personal opionon is that the impending demise of 100LL is a problem, and devaluing factor for those aircraft which cannot operate on Mogas.

I own a Mogas powered aircraft, (though even ethanol blending has me a bit worried). I care for a second 100LL powered aircraft for it's foreign owner, and that aircraft concerns me more for the distant future. He does not want it back to his country for lack of 100LL availability. I have a diesel engine conversion underway for another foreign client, as 100LL is not practically available to him, jet fuel being the only locally available aviation fuel.

I certainly would not be buying an aircraft dependant upon 100LL, unless a diesel conversion is being contemplated. It has been about 20 years since the US EPA said that 100LL would be banned "soon", and it's going to happen sometime. Even if there is a replacement fuel for 100LL, who will pay the cost to approve it into all those aircraft, or create another standard for a new fuel? Will the 100LL dependant aircraft fleet be able to bear the cost of the development and distirbution of this fuel, for a rather small market (in the big picture of gasoline as a whole), when jet fuel is so easy to get?

I don't think it is the gasoline engine production which interested the Chinese when they bought Continental, I think they want the diesel technology for their national aviation interests. Why would they want their small aircraft infrastructure to grow dependant upon 100LL, when they already have jet fuel available all over China?

100LL is not a growth industry, and dependance upon it will be a burden sooner or later....