PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker Rides at Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 12:44
SLLC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What it's like

30mRad
I (for one) would be interested in hearing how you got your respective ties. With 3000 hrs on bang/rocket seats and no ride, I have often wondered what it actually is like, the thought process to pulling the handle, and memories of the whole thing.
I guess it's going to be different for everyone. My experience was out of a Harrier; engine issues which led to a terrifying minute or so fighting the hell out of the machine. I think I had just about every major caption to deal with from the initial (apparently) minor-ish issue, to total loss of primary engine control (over-ridden and got back manually - only a short respite), mechanical failure, fire (briefly in an after-burning Harrier - flames out back beyond the tail from the nozzles), doomed attempt at re-light with left hand as right hand went for the handle.

At that point, with wingman screaming at me and going down very quickly, I was pointing at a village. Full left aileron and went for the handle. The decision making process was immediate and I guess that in the preceding minute or so, the thought that this was not going to end well had obviously already occurred to me. In fact the tapes show I warned ATC that I may be leaving shortly.

The experience itself I have always struggled to articulate. I remained conscious and remember the splatter of MDC on the visor. The other thing is the enormous noise as it goes and the smell of things exploding too. After that, the only thing I can really say is that it seems amazing that the human body can survive it - just extraordinary force in a really short period of time.

I remember the seat falling away (the pin had been bent through about 80 degrees as I was holding onto the handle for dear life!) and still seeing my jet airborne before it crashed (weird sensation) - thankfully just outside the village. The main thing then was noticing that I could not breath, nor could I look up to check the chute as per the drills. One short attempt to stop the PSP swinging and then landed in a heap having not even inflated the LSJ. So much for all those drills; thankfully they don't train you to do them with a fractured spine.

Then lay there I guess in shock and honestly not believing it had happened. Rescued shortly after and the rest is a very long story. So for me, as I am sure every other tie owner would say - I can never thank MB enough. But it is genuinely not something I would recommend to anyone.