PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an RAF pilot....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 22:31
Axel-Flo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was 17 once............

Yep, as were most of us. 8500 hrs later i still wish there was more of what we had to do then. Answers to recruiting dilemmas, or solutions to "how do i make it" weren't found on a search engine or by asking the WWW.

If i were you, i realise i am not,

1. Be genuine, and do things because you want to and not because you want to be "seen" to be doing them...
2. Do what you actually want, not jump through the hoops you think you need to or worse, those that someone tells you you need to.
3. Don't forget that when you get there it won't be a dream. Look at the PVR threads, and any looking at how easy/green the grass outside is. Then be prepared to be on call, loose leave, not be there for the family, bitch about it all not being what you want.....et al.
4. If you still think it's for you ... do it, but stay real, love what you do, bitch about those who don't accept the above and pull your weight.

The planners will appreciate you, you'll get fed up of the Jack B**tar*s angling for an easy time and wanting to get out.... and know that no one appreciates you at all. Especially if you want to work at the flying part and not chisel for promotion (more seen to be doing the right thing rather than doing it!....see 2 above) As for me, I still love what i do....recognise all of the above but know fully there is little if anything i will do to change anything from it.

Oh, and the other guys are right too. The first few posts did make me laugh.

Mate, you have two feet, stand on em', just do it and if, in days to come you join, I shall look forward to seeing you try and succeed in all you wish!

BTAC...........Be there and cope. If you can't you shouldn't be there...

Good Luck