PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSU's and NOTAM
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2002, 18:54
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Spitoon

I think you miss my point, perhaps I didn't explain it well enough.

If I want to use either of these I have to ask the ATSU concerned for permission, at which point they can tell me that it is not available - no safety hazard, and neither of these could be regarded as essential. I'm not going to abandon my flight if I have to park on a different stand or practice my hovering on a different part of the field.

Can you point out any way in which safety would be compromised by any pilot's lack of knowledge of these two if he were operating within the rules?

Is it essential that every pilot, before he takes off, reads these two?

Does padding the PIB out to 37 pages with things like this contribute to safety or does the mass of information of this type help to obscure what we are looking for?

My suggestion is that people should think twice before they promulgate a NOTAM, consider whether or not it is essential to do so and if it's not, don't.

Same applies to things like the fact that EGHH's elevation has been amended to 38 feet (couldn't that wait until the next AIP amendment?)

EGJJ has an 18 inch high mound of earth 2 metres off one corner of the runway marked with flags and lights. Ther are two separate NOTAM on this one. Presumably you can't warn people about it on the ATIS or by r/t, and Hoskins' eyesight is such that he can't be relied on to see it unless he gets two NOTAM first. Perhaps a little OTT?

I absolutely agree that it is essential that facilities that might be relied on should be notammed.

Go on - tell me - do you really sit down with the AIP before every flight or do you use a flight guide like the rest of us?

Mike