PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangerous Runway at Faro??
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2002, 17:50
Sunjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely a delight to go there......beautiful approaches, helpful, mannerly, professional ATC, good handling - haven't noticed any problems with the runway surface though the terminal improvements are first class - great new airbridges with double arms - you can get the jetway on the L1 and L2 doors on the B757!

ATC can be busy, an ATIS woud be a help, but I noticed on a couple of Saturday afternoons back in August they were trialing a new Ground frequency on 118.025 which would aid Tower on 118.2 but obviously not alleviate any conjestion on Approach 119.4. As has been mentioned clearance direct to the centre fix seems to work very well and is often given upon hand over from Lisboa!

The new procedure not permitting arrivals from or departures to the UK (and other northern European countries) to route via Minta is a pity - used to be handy to avoid some congestion and delay. Never mind!

The lack of an ILS is noteworthy, but hopefully this will be operational before long - even in the summer that fog can still roll in off the sea - often just a thin layer but below minimums

Hopefully if there are any problems with the runway they can be resolved through some night closures....

....in the meanwhile keep enjoying those approaches - I prefer 28 myself - that lovely run along the coast past the Ria Formosa Natural Park and over the city. Nice!