PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Liability Claim After Fatal Crash
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 12:52
twheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Liability Claim After Fatal Crash

Hi,

My father was killed last year in a light aircraft and the insurance company is being awkward to say the least and I would appreciate anybody's comments and opinions on what's going on.

As laid out by the regulatory authority and enforced by the CAA the minimum passenger liability insurance standards at 100,000 SDRs in the event of an accident. The policy cover the aircraft my father was in had this cover (slightly more) but we've had a really tough time tracking down the company (CV Starr). We're now being pointed at a solicitors firm who are handling the claim on behalf of the insurer.

From this solicitors firm we have been asked to produce ridiculous "justification" in respect of the compensation. They want all bank statements, CV for my father, earnings, job reference - the lot! The trouble is that my father owned and ran his own business and a lot of this is both not relevant but also difficult to produce. What really winds myself up is justifying how UPTO £100,000 is anywhere near compensation enough for the loss of my mothers husband and providing spouse.

I am thinking that this could be the insurance company trying to duck out of the payment in any way they can but it is my opinion that in the event of death there should be no question about "justification".

I have tried the CAA for advice but they pointed me at the FSA (Financial Services Authority) who in turn pointed me towards the financial ombudsman although they won't be able to give me any advice because the insurance was not in our name!?

Has anybody else dealt with insurance claims before in the aviation world to give me some opinion?