PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 10:47
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCSL
I do actually see DTV becoming a Liverpool of the area - not massively busy but developing and sustaining a good level of routes which is at a profit for the airport overall.
I fear your views are more theoretical than practical, & perhaps miss the most fundamental of points "It is a sellers market" out there insofar as carriers are concerned, thus they place their aircraft where they believe they can generate the most revenue. DTV simply can't compete from on a level playing field, with underwriting costs to support services totally unecconomic.
Looking at it from another direction for a Loco to provide a service then this has to be at the expense of another service / route elsewhere on their network. Alternatively the introduction of an additional aircraft into the fleet & one is competing with bases all across europe. DTV is unfortunately at the wrong end of a downwards spiral, which with partial closures & reduction in resources is hardly sending out a positive message. This all also relevant as regards to "w" operations, which incidentally would likely be less cost effective in terms of the net revenue generated.
So VAS should definitely be thinking that they are in the position to offer phenomenal fee rates to entice carriers in, they should have no problem being able to do that.
I'm unsure as to what VAS must be thinking though I doubt VAS have any Arab benefactors willing to throw money around. More to the point is that VAS came to the table with strong credentials / experience of running airports. One would be excused from assuming based on their performance at DTV that that is not the case !