PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting my PPL - advice please!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 10:25
Ds3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting my PPL - advice please!

Hi all, new to the forums and to flying in general so treat me gently please

Seriously considering getting my PPL and looking for some advice / observations. I'm sure you guys get asked about this all the time, I have read many other threads and picked up useful info but have some specific questions.

I've looked briefly at intensive overseas courses but don't think they're for me. I've not piloted a plane before and I feel that learning in the area I will be flying in, and taking a bit of time over it will make me a more confident pilot. I'd also have the flexibility of walking away after a few lessons if I decide it's not for me.

I live near Cambridge / Peterborough, can anyone recommend a good place to commence training from? I'm looking for somewhere competitively priced but preferably with planes that stay in the air!!

There seems to be a raft of different aircraft you can learn in, although the Cessna pops up regularly. My preference leans towards a low wing plane like the Robin HR200 but that opinion is completely uneducated and based purely on the fact they look a bit more 'sporty' Is there really much difference once you're up in the air and should I be looking for a specific type of plane to learn in?

Once you have your license, how easy is it to jump in a plane and head over to, lets say, France for lunch and a glass of wine (joking!)? Aside from use of the plane, what are the associated costs and complications?

Any other advice much appreciated!