PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 09:30
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add to this, check out the thread I posted about a recent power failure at JKIA at night that wiped out all basic ATC equipment (radar/ILS/radio) leaving a whole bunch of small aircraft and large airliners floundering around in the dark dodging each other and making their own - unofficial/unsanctioned - divert procedures in order to reach the ground safely. It was madness and utter chaos. JKIA is supposed to have an independent back-up power system if not two back-up systems. Fat lot of good that did.

I just can't imagine that happening outside of this area - it really does bring a whole new meaning to the "Dark Continent". So yes, do I think flying in Africa is unsafe? You're not bloody kidding after this fiasco!!!! And will it happen again - definitely. Will someone take responsibility for what happened? No. Will the politicians give it the proper priority to sort out and prevent happening again - very doubtful. Its not a case of if there will be another local aviation catastrophe with loss of life, but when. Sadly.