PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some advice and recommendations for a new member?
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 09:13
Amblikai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks again! You guys are great!

Lots of great advice there and many points i hadn't even considered! Good idea to do the medical first. I think i'll start looking into that soon.

ct8282 It was really interesting to read your experiences on the exams. I note that you're an electronic engineer too! I'm looking into getting the Jeremy Pratt books. As soon as i receive them i'll begin reading through them systematically.

Regarding the weather, all your advice was exactly what i was looking for. Trying to get a 'feel' for the weather and how it affects flying i'm sure will come with experience.
pulse1 I drive past Glasgow Airport every day on my way to work, how would i go about checking the weather for it? I've googled METAR and TAF and they seem quite complicated (i'm sure it'll all become clear when i start studying meteorology), where is the best place to look at this/understand it? And great idea too!

From all the advice given, i'll definitely be saving up nd going for it all in one. Would people recommend an intensive course? Going abroad? I had originally my heart set on learning at Prestwick (i did some trial hours there years ago and they were great!) and i'd like to aim for that but if abroad is significantly cheaper or if weather is likely to seriously hamper me i'm obviously open to options.

Thanks again for all your input and advice. It's very encouraging!