PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What a laugh... Flight Experience
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 08:29
Homesick-Angel

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I worked at flight experience a while ago.

Here's what I can tell you..

There are several FE Sims around the country.

The one I worked was operated poorly on a management level and the front of house system in the joint is shambolics. The "boss" was not interested in helping or acknowledging the staff's efforts, was constantly expecting unrealistic outcomes with exceptionally poor people skills and was only interested in sales, something that we actually had very little control over. Not a good mix.

The pay is worse than Sh1t.

I got my job there with minimal flight training(maybe before PPL), and was expected to undergo quite an amount of unpaid "training" to get up to speed with the Sim which is more operational than some of you may think. some details are here

On a "flying" level, It was actually a good learning environment, as there were pilots working there of many levels there from GFPT'ers to retired airline pilots and everything between.
The bulk would have been people finishing their CPL's or just finished.Many of us who were working at the time are now out in the workforce as pilots. You are required to fly accurately the approach and departure procedures from the jepp charts on the line flights. Not a bad skill to learn on someone else's coin. You need to be able to operate the FMC and manage some fairly complex navigation procedures (and often computer issues) all while giving the customer a good time.

The job was a pain in the ar3e in many ways(mainly because of lack of management and the disrespect of the boss), but one of the best things about the job was sharing the experience with people, and most of them absolutely loved it. This and setting up ridiculous situations for each other in the rare down time would be the highlights.Dealing with the bosses and straaaaange dudes who just came into the shop to talk and gawk would be the lowlights.

As in any organisation, there were a mix of personalities working there, but overall while I was there the other guys were a pretty nice bunch.

It is in short an elaborate show, but good fun for people who have not flown before(even some that have)

Do not work there unless you like being treated like sh1t.

Last edited by Homesick-Angel; 22nd Jul 2011 at 12:15.