PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR20 deploys ballistic parachute near Banbury
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 07:03
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A relevent article on the "CAPS" system appears in the most recent Transport Canada Aviation Safety Letter, and can be found here:
That's a nasty one for firefighters...

Mind you, if the whole plane is engulfed in fire, and by the time a fire crew could possibly arrive, there won't be anybody inside worth salvaging IMHO.

There is a video out there showing an SR20 or 22 crashing into what looks like a car park, and it is a fireball within something like 1 video frame (that's 40 milliseconds max) of a wing making contact with the ground.
it lowers the aircraft to the ground doing just enough damage to make a repair job a good project.
Originally that was not proposed. Cirrus said every chute pull would be a writeoff. But it seems that some if not all were repaired.

I do wonder what they did with the avionics........................ I bet most of the kit worked just fine, but would you want to fly with it? And scrapping a complete SR22 panel is going to cost of the order of $100k. I know that my TB20 panel, year 2002, at list prices (which nobody in the trade actually pays but an insurance company will 100% most definitely end up paying those, just like any "insurance job" ) would have come to about £120k.

I thus think that the avionics probably get, ahem, sent to an avionics repair shop which, ahem, powers them up and, ahem, find them working IAW the MM and, ahem, writes out a Serviceable tag and, ahem, they get put back.