PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some advice and recommendations for a new member?
Old 21st Jul 2011, 15:38
ct8282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amblikai
Wow! Thanks you both for such excellent replies! I should have been clearer in my original post about 1 lesson per month though. That would be until early 2012 when i would have the money to do much more than one lesson per month. In other words, in anticipation of receiving a large lump sum, should i start now with around 1 lesson per month (for about 7 months) and then complete it in early 2012? Or should i hold off until then when i can do the whole thing much quicker?

From your replies i can see the major disadvantage being that although i might get a small head start with some extra lessons beforehand, i will probably just end having to refresh a lot due to the low frequency of training, which isn't very efficient in the long term.

With regards to trying to get a handle on what VFR conditions "look like", could i still fly on the average Scottish overcast day? No blue sky, just cloud. Does rain always mean no flying? As i say, there is loads of information on what VFR is/are, but it's difficult without some experience to know what that means in real terms.

Again, i really appreciate your replies and even this first step of posting on this forum feels like i have got the ball rolling, which is quite exciting!
No problem at all.

My personal opinion based on the extra info above, I would wait until next year when you have your cash and then do as much block training as you can. In the meantime work your way through the theory exams and have these done before you start flying. This will reduce your work load and stress levels. If you're really committed you can get the theory done very quickly, I got all 7 exams passed with average of approx 95% in 4 weeks, but this was hard graft and lots and lots of hours studying nearly every day. You can however gradually work your way through it all, say do one exam per month and this will reduce the stress and aggro of the theory work.

VMC minima for a PPL pilot, when flying under 3000ft and under 140kts IAS is 3km flight visibility (this is visibility directly ahead of you), clear of cloud and surface in sight.

Above 3000ft the minima is 5km flight visibility, clear of cloud vertically by 1000ft and clear of cloud horizontally by 1500m, just to confuse you.

This is for class F and G airspace which the majority of your flying would likely be.

To answer your question then, if it is overcast and cloudy, and maybe some rain or drizzle, but you can maintain these minima you can still fly. Whether or not you'd want to is another matter though.

If you do decide to follow this advice then maybe you could start working your way through the Air Law stuff as this will answer a lot of these queries for you. For some advice on the theory here's the thread that I wrote about my experience with the tests.....

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...xperience.html