PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some advice and recommendations for a new member?
Old 21st Jul 2011, 12:11
Amblikai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some advice and recommendations for a new member?

Hi everyone, i've been lurking the forums for a while and decided to join since the opportunity to begin seriously thinking about my ppl has finally arisen. I will spare you the back story for now!

I'll have some funds due to a work related bonus in early 2012 and i am definitely going to pursue my dream. At the moment i could maybe only afford 1 lesson per month. However, i'd like some advice.

Basically, would it be best to wait until i have the funds to go for the ppl before i start flight training and there is better weather or should i start now at the rate of 1 per month? My concerns are learning through the winter, where i imagine there will be plenty of cancellations due to weather, and the low rate of learning. Would it be financially counter productive? I guess my question is along the lines of, how bad is it really, flying in Scotland through the winter months? I know basic VFR minima but i find it very hard to visualise this in terms of "a bit overcast", "no blue sky", "light rain" or "thick cloud". Obviously i am well used to the weather behaviour of my local area, but i'm not sure how that translates into VFR flying opportunities.

I have thought of studying for ground exams through the winter, until i can go for regular lessons and i know a lot of people do this (usually before doing an intensive course) which may be more worthwhile than having such spread out lessons where i would be better off paying debt.

I have searched around for answers on this quite substantially, but it seems to be more of an experience/situation type scenario.

Any thoughts, comments and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.