PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship Scheme
Old 21st Jul 2011, 08:06
bobgadjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineering apprenticeships history

I hope this thread is still monitored by those who have gone before. I was looking for something about aircraft apprenticeship schemes for my nephew and stumbled upon this.
I hope the starter carried on and got his (or her) place.

Personally, I did my apprenticeship with British Airways, then British European Airways (1963-1967), and I can honestly say that at that time the earnings were far from my thoughts, and the apprenticeship stood me in good stead as I have had my own engineering company since 1982.
A couple of names mentioned before have brought back great memories as I worked for Monarch from 74-79. They were the best employer I had ever had, and I too remember that hangar meeting shown in the photo.
Another moment in my memory was when the "management" gathered another meeting and advised ALL staff, pilots, cabin crew, etc, that it was not THEY who paid the wages, but the passengers. That has stayed with me since day one.
At that time I was actually working for Aircraft Engineering Ltd (I think that's what they were called) and had a 6 weeks stint in Cyprus looking after 111's for Cyprus Airways.
I would think if any of you were on that stint also you MUST remember drinking at The Old Barrel in Larnaca.

Back to the thread, I will be passing on this info to my nephew in the hope that he obtains as much out of life in aircraft engineering as I did, and by reading previous, what you lot did also.

Being terrible with names I have since forgotten most of those I worked with, and as a former avionics geek, my brain has probably been scrambled by standing too close to the front when the weather radar was on ! ! !

Thanks for the memories guys.