PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and Superyachts
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2011, 06:42
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yacht Review: M.V. Atmosphere

The expedition yacht 'Atmosphere' rests at anchor in an isolated corner of Chile's breathtakingly beautiful Patagonia region while one of her aerial tenders departs in pursuit of high adventure

The M.V. Atmosphere is a 695 tonne, 45 metre, twin-screw, steel and aluminium motor displacement yacht powered by two 838hp Cummins diesel engines.

She was launched in 2006 and is owned by Andres Ergas, proprietor of Nomads of the Seas, the travel company which promotes Atmosphere's year-round adventures offering some of the world's finest fly fishing, wildlife observation and powder skiing.

Unlike the previous yachts described on this thread, Atmosphere is an expedition (as opposed to luxury) yacht and, if I was to serve in the role of a 'yopter' (yacht-helicopter) pilot, then I think that to be assigned to a vessel such as Atmosphere would be considerably more interesting than the obligatory two weeks per year spent on-board a luxury yacht ferrying guests and shopping to and fro! (A simplification of the routine I know).

Andres Ergas asserts that fishing and nature have been his lifelong passions and which have led him to the Chilean Patagonia where Atmosphere now trawls some of the "greatest and most amazing places on earth."

The yacht, which can be hired by the week or booked on a per person basis, sails at night coming to anchor in bays and fiords throughout the length of Patagonia. She sleeps 28 guests in 14 cabins and is equipped with an array of 'toys' and amenities including: speed boats (for para-gliding), zodiacs, jet skis, kayaks, scuba gear, gym, sauna, jacuzzis and more.

Over and above Atmosphere's numerous comforts is her exclusive Patagonian cuisine served by renown Chilean chef, Guillermo Rodríguez, president of the Chilean chapter of Les Toques Blanches and who ensures that guests will "encounter a gastronomic experience of memorable magnitude." One can easily imagine that these delicacies are accompanied by a sublime selection of Chilean wines (of doubtless interest to VFR!).

What sets Nomads apart from other operators is their ability to penetrate the heart of Patagonia. This is what had brought us more than 10,000 miles to one of the most pristine environments on earth. Patagonia, which is split between Chile and Argentina, stretches almost 1,000 miles southwards from Puerto Montt and provides a constantly changing vista of fascination and beauty.

The seas positively explode with life, from the tiniest of krill and other shellfish to sea-lions, penguins, dolphins and whales. Steamer ducks, four varieties of cormorant, turkey vultures, the occasional albatross and the caracara (an indigenous falcon) all helped to create a birdwatching nirvana too.
But, what we are of course interested in are Atmosphere's aerial toys which, in this case, take the form of two Bell 407's CC-PTU and CC-CXT. These craft, adorned in their distinctive red and gold livery, are responsible for transporting Atmosphere's guests to the scene of their adventures including: wildlife watching, fly-fishing, heli-skiing/boarding and heli-dining.

By comparison with the first image (above) it is obvious to see that Atmosphere received modifications to her superstructure involving the extension of her helideck in order to accommodate two aircraft

Atmosphere's two red and gold Bell 407's parked line astern on the vessel's helideck

CC-CXT departs with a batch of Atmosphere's guests

CC-PTU surrounded by satisfied customers enjoying the experience of remote area fly-fishing

PTU drops off more fly-fishing clients. Both aircraft wear the company name on their nose and upper-cowlings as well as the vessel's name beneath the windows of the rearward facing seats

Preparing for departure

One of Atmosphere's pilots talks with the vessel's helideck crew

Heli-boarding is big business among Atmosphere's guests

Anyone for Patagonian crab?

Heli-dining across the unique scenery of Patagonia features large among the itinerary of Atmosphere's guests

One of atmosphere's Bell 407's lifts-off from the vessel's helideck against a backdrop of dramatic cloud formations

Helicopter pilot Francisco made a quick announcement. 'Is everyone up for a low-level pass of the ship? If you are, I need to see all six hands up!' Six arms were immediately raised. And, with no further ado, our Bell 407 roared down to wave level and completed a high speed fly-by of our seagoing home, the MV Atmosphere.

Without realising it, Francisco had set the most exquisite exclamation mark on a week of Patagonian perfection. We had embarked in Puerto Montt, 28 intrepid travellers ready for adventure but unsure what to expect from this voyage into one of the world's most desolate wildernesses.

PTU departs the ship on an early evening sortie

Nomads of the Seas promotional video

Chopper 2004 wrote: Have you seen the MV Atmosphere with its pair of red Bell 407 in your neck of the woods or any high resolution shots?
Yes, in fact Atmosphere was included in the small sampling of images I posted on page 2 in response to your initial query about shipborne 407's. This post is a more complete response. Regarding sighting Atmosphere in Genoa, Venice or any other Italian port, I might just choke on my Bellini if that were to happen, for while she is technically available for worldwide charter she is now so deeply ensconced in her Patagonian routine that is it hard to imagine seeing her elsewhere!

Regarding high res images yes, I have seven, and if you will PM me your email address I shall gladly forward them.