PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lyneham saved
Thread: Lyneham saved
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 23:30
flipflopman RB199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hangars are exactly that, not workshops or classrooms. The whole Station heating system is on the verge of collapse and leaks like a sieve, looks more like downtown Manhattan in winter than an RAF Camp
But perhaps Pr00ne can yet again attempt to correct us all as apparently...

It may be central but it's tiny compared to Lyneham and in no way could accommodate the Army from Aborfield and the Navy from Sultan on top of what is there already.

It was all going to move to St. Athan anyway so now it is just moving to Lyneham instead. Hardly a waste of money as the closure of Gosport and Arborfield will save a considerable amount.
Pr00ne, perhaps you can enlighten us all as to the space that Lyneham holds for all of the current incumbents of Cosford, by which I mean:

238 Sqn - Line Training Flight
AVTF - Avionics and Electrical training flight
MechTF - Propulsion and Airframe training Flight
ArmTF - Armament training flight
No1 RS - No 1 Radio School

...the Safety Equipment training flight etc.. I could go on..

This does not include in any way the space required by Arborfield or Sultan. One of the main reasons that the St Athan bid did not work out was due to the incredibly high and un-catered for cost of building accomodation and work space for the aforementioned training units. Perhaps you can then explain why Lyneham is any different in that respect. If more buildings are required, perhaps you could explain how they would be cheaper or easier to build at Lyneham, rather than on the large and empty expanse of real estate that is currently available on the empty airfield side of RAF Cosford.

Being previously based at the former and currently at the latter, I would be particularly interested in hearing any justification for your statements.

Flipflopman

Last edited by flipflopman RB199; 21st Jul 2011 at 00:11.