PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it REALLY the RAFs?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 23:21
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Roadster,

Bit of thread drift, but I think you'll find that Con Coughlin shares a broadly similar view, albeit going a stage further and arguing that all 3 Services have been equally done over by Camoron and the vermin Fox - albeit not helped by single service chiefs and their peeing contests - and that it is now time to 'go Canadian'.

It’s time for Britain to merge its*Army, Navy and Air Force - Telegraph

It pains me to admit it, but Camoron really is turning out to be am exceptionally average PM, Fox a bit like a petulant teenager and the government in general rather poor, especially on defence. Frankly, we are even less of a concern to the politicians than we were under Noo Labour (until of course LOCOG screw up the security, car parking, hot dog and souvenir brochure sales for Olympics then Op DENY SUMMER will kick in) as evidenced by the Civil Service take over of the Defence Board (Civil Defence Board?). I've yet to work out what it is that Camoron is actually interested in, other than himself and his chums, but it isn't defence and frankly I think we would be better of with the egregious Boris Johnson running the show. At least he has the advantage of being a likeable buffoon, so he either fails to shock or surprises in buckets.

Given the monumental costs of this PFI, I'm surprised that it hasn't been renogotiated in some way shape or form. I know there are contracts involved, but at the end of the day, the government can move the goal posts, up sticks and take its toys away and has shown that it is willing to do so when it suits its own agenda. Short of a long drawn out legal battle, there is very little an organisation which isn't a bank could do to force the government's hand at least in the short term.

Last edited by Melchett01; 20th Jul 2011 at 23:40.