PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 23:01
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another lacunae in my reading followed by a dump, an observation, and a question.

Originally Posted by rudderrat
One has to wonder at the wisdom of starting with an aircraft concept which is naturally longitudinally speed stable, and design ALT LAW handling characteristics which allow the aircraft to be flown (with UAS), to stalling Alpha and beyond in a trimmed condition.
In most situations roughly analogous to AF447 the crews have visual clues of one sort or another. That means the plane leaves it to the pilots to discern "too fast" from "too slow" from those clues.

Um, that brings up a probably silly question. Might the pilots be better able to guess AoA from simply turning on the landing lights or watching wing tip lights to see if they can get any hints from the variations in the clouds through which they are flying?

Originally Posted by gritty
it might be that he had learnd this (wrongly-) skill......
There were two of them who apparently learned it wrong.

--

I love PJ2's pages from Davies. Even I understood most of it. And it explains a lot. Thanks.

Now I have a question:
Originally Posted by (BEA)
From 2 h 10 min 05.... The airplane began to roll to the right and the PF made a left nose-up input.
Originally Posted by (BEA)
At around 2 h 11 min 40 .... The PF made an input on the sidestick to the left and nose-up stops, which lasted about 30 seconds.
The plane turned to the right despite NU-L inputs on the stick. Did we ever hash this out? (If so, excuse me please. I somehow missed it.) Did the pilot fixate on the plane not being able to turn back to a straight course and forgot about stall? And why did the plane apparently never respond to the left part of the inputs?

Rolling the plane to the left with up elevator is, I believe, a left turn input. If I'm right why'd the plane go into a fairly tight right turn?

bearfoil, you should have mentioned aside from one set of alternating roll inputs all inputs were either neutral roll or left roll to make your point better. I don't suggest a reason. I simply ask "why?" Then you launched into what seems to me to be silliness.

PJ2 - in message 515 of http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/45687...ml#post6582663 you suggest you're out of ideas. Does the notion of turning right with left stick inputs key any ideas?