PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it REALLY the RAFs?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 22:26
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I was hardly likely to overplay that, was I?

However, the fact remains that the RAF coming out of SDSR is a different beast to that going in. Practically sod all use to the Navy (no MPA, no Harrier). Less useful to the Army (less CAS), and heading for sod all use at all. Dwindling AT assets, a poxy 7 sqns of FJ and some geriatric US ELINT capability.

This thread's a shining example. It's a poor reflection on the RAF when the "new kit" is owned by a bank, a third of it is nothing more than a few airliners, and ALL AT is crammed into a single-runway airfield. If the "wheels up" Herc sketch is pulled again at BZZ, then in the words of Snatch, you're "proper fcuked".

In fact, the future miniscule size of the RAF calls into question the need to have the institutions it has. Its own Medical service, Fire Service, Police, recruit training, even Cranwell. The individual cost of each of these will approach the point where it makes no sense - if it hasn't already. There'll be a 2* for each Squadron.

Now all of the above is merely a commentary resulting from the "Sun readers" hypocrisy. For myself, I truly wish it weren't as it is. Despite being a (retired) soldier, I wish the RAF (and the RN, for that matter) hadn't been as decimated as they have been, but they have.

Sun readers indeed!