PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Select committe Carriers
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 22:16
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Engines,
THANK YOU very much indeed for taking the time to clarify the IPP issue and the last thing I want to do is appear argumentative.. ESPECIALLY when I am having the rare opportunity of listening to folks like your good self who are experts on this topic.

I have attached just one of many, many example of what has confused me when they all refer to this item as being a small gas turbine. All the similar locations refer to this IPP as being a small gas turbine, hence my posts.

First flight was originally planned for late August, but was delayed when the F-35’s Honeywell-developed integrated power pack (IPP) failed qualification testing. The IPP combines the auxiliary and emergency power units and environmental control system to save weight, and is required to start the engine and power the aircraft.
The IPP is a small gas turbine that provides power to the engine-mounted starter/generator to “motor” the F135 to its starting speed. The engine then accelerates to idle speed, and the system transitions from operating as a motor to operating as a generator, driving aircraft systems including power-by-wire flight controls.
“The IPP started first time, and every time, and generated the power needed to start the main engine, which was critical,” says Doug Pearson, vice-president of the F-35 integrated test force. “The main engine was similar – the first time it was commanded, it started.” The IPP was started 20 times, motoring or starting the engine 12 times
Is this the IPP we are discussing?

I apologise
if I have ruffled a few feathers as this was NOT my intent. I have highlighted the guilty comments that lead me to believe there was the smaller engine and hopefully folks might accept the reasons why I was, and perhaps still am confused. My bad, my fault.

I FULLY and totally ACCEPT your final comments regarding numbers and that is an end to it

I have read a number of posts that have explained how the exhaust issue was dealt with and as you say it is now not an issue

Apologies again to all those that have said there is only the one gas turbine and I guess we all move on