PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Back in the days when you flew a 'real' plane
Old 20th Jul 2011, 21:35
Old but not bold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a real aeroplane? I beleive it is the one that does what it is designed to do really well. In 1966 when learning to fly at RVAC MMB My first instructor (B. McInnes) suggested we had a choice of two aircraft in which to learn, the Chipmunk he told me was cold and draughty and we would need to wear flying suits, warm boots and would have difficulty in comunicatiing with each other. Bruce then took me out to the flight line and proudly showed me the latest technology; the Piper 140 Cherokee, he demonstrated the comfortable seats, heater controls and best of all he could wear his cargdigan and corduroy slippers in total comfort!
Having said that Bruce was a great instructor and a good friend and with the help of the great Roy Goon (CFI) sent me solo in 8 hours.

Although much derided nowdays the 140 served me well and I enjoyed every moment of the training, so in reality this aircraft did exactly what it was designed to do and did it well. I did get to fly the Chippy later on in my training, probably when I when was better equipped to appreciate it.
As mentioned earlier, there is really no such as a bad aircraft.