PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 20:36
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As current contributors will probably know, I am one of the 'old' aviators, but I still find it incredible that these two pilots performed the initial climb. I am less interested in investigation of the 'after the climb' events since I judge these to be incorrect handling for whatever reason, be it training, AB 'philosophy' or just lack of recognition of the stall.

Moving on to Bear's 'pitch/power' AP mode - a good idea, but again you need reams of code with all the pitfalls they bring, to cover all the oddballs that can be thrown. Which attitude to use? How will discrepancies be voted out? Was it IAS or attitude - or something else - that triggered the drop to Bear's system? How will the AP cope if the IAS is actually too close to stall/Mcrit while it flies the correct attitude/power? Will it be capable of recovering from an upset?

No, I still back my call (elsewhere) for properly trained and capable pilots who have the innate ability to sift the wheat from the chaff and an FCS that they can understand and use . In my opinion, 'automation' has still way to go.